Monday 1 May 2017

My Favourite Things by Kate Braithwaite, Author




Food - Savoury and sweet
I am doing the Whole 30 eating plan right now so my answers are very different than they would have been three weeks ago! I’m going to say chia pudding with berries for sweet and mushroom omelet for savoury.



Drink
The first cup of coffee in the morning


Film
The Scarlet Pimpernel. It’s a brilliant made for TV movie starring Anthony Andrews, Jane Seymour and Ian McKellen (long before he was Gandalf!). I can recite it almost word for word.



Book
So hard to pick one but for an all time favourite, I’m going to go for Jane Eyre.


Author
Hilary Mantel. I loved her book A Place of Greater Safety and think the Wolf Hall books are incredible. I can’t wait for her to complete that trilogy.


Character
At the moment I’m writing a novel about the Popish Plot and the villain, a real person, is called Titus Oates. He is so comprehensively bad that I just love writing about him.



Song
Adele’s Rolling in the Deep was important to me when I was writing Charlatan. I love the strong woman scorned, and it really plays well with Madame de Montespan being rejected by Louis XIV. I don’t generally listen to music when I’m writing but I did listen to that one song an awful lot!


Holiday destination
Edinburgh. It’s where I grew up and where my mum lives. I love it.


Animal
I have two dogs and a cat. Can’t choose between them so I’m going to say elephants. My mum and my daughter love elephants too. Can elephant-love be a genetic trait??



Person
No contest: it’s my husband, Chris. We went to school together (not yesterday!!) and I can’t imagine being with anyone else.


Place to write
Weirdly, Starbucks. But only because I meet with a small group of writing friends at a local Starbucks once every week or two weeks. We chat and then do writing prompts. We read what we’ve written out loud to each other. It’s incredibly good fun, supportive and very productive. I find that the things I write there so surprising.


Season
I don’t have a favourite. I’d say winter except I hate shoveling snow. I’d say summer except that the humidity where we live makes my hair go too curly. I’d say Spring and/or Autumn but not if it is raining. I can’t pick.


Tradition
Christmas crackers. We live in America now and although you can get Christmas crackers, they are not “a thing”. Somehow it wouldn’t feel like Christmas without the silly hats, the bad jokes and the useless trinkets. They also don’t have Boxing Day here. I miss it!


Inspirational quote
“We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars” Oscar Wilde.



Thing in the whole world
My family. I have three kids - two boys and a girl – and right now they are 11, 13 and 15. At this age they can all be both totally wonderful and immensely trying - sometimes in the same five minute period!!

Bio:
Kate Braithwaite grew up in Edinburgh but has lived in various parts of the UK, in Canada and the US. Winner of the University of Toronto Marina Nemat Award and Random House Student Writing Prize, she writes atmospheric historical fiction exploring dark secrets and unusual episodes from the past: the stories no one told you about in history class at school.

Her novel, CHARLATAN, was long-listed for the Mslexia New Novel Award and the Historical Novel Society Novel Award in 2015.

Kate and her family live in Kennett Square, Pennsylvania.       












Thanks for joining us today on My Favourite Things.


Sincerely
Book Angel x

No comments:

Post a Comment